1 Corinthians 6:19

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own..." 1 Corinthians 6:19

Friday, May 25, 2012

I Survived My Detox!

I actually made it all seven days!  I haven't been able to get past day 2 in several years so I'm pretty excited about this!  It's been a very busy week for me, hence the lack in posts throughout the detox.  I learned a lot of things about myself and my habits, though, and I hope by sharing them they help you, too.

The biggest thing I noticed was the food routines in my life.  For certain places I frequent, there is almost always a food place I unconsciously stop at.  Example, my doctor's office is near three different fast food places.  Out of habit, I stop at one of them whenever I leave his office and head to work.  The Target store I shop at has a Starbucks and I almost always stop there to get a drink before shopping for what I need.  While I was detoxing, I couldn't make those stops and it was so strange, like I was out of my comfort zone.  I was literally uncomfortable because these are things I always do, part of my routine and suddenly I had to change that routine.  I kind of felt like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man, but you know, my sisters have always accused me of being a control freak... :)  It made me recognize that I eat more junk out and about then I realized and so I want to challenge you to pay attention to the food places you always have to stop at.  Do you really have to or is it just part of your routine?

The second thing for me was the energy levels.  Okay, I'm not ready to run a marathon or anything, but a substantial burst of energy was where it hasn't been in awhile.  By 2pm, I'm normally at my desk yawning like a grizzly bear ready for hibernation and it typically doesn't stop until I go to bed.  Being fatigued all the time is so hard, I can't even tell you.  It effects every area of my life.  I noticed on Day 5, I didn't yawn until about 4:45pm.  On days 6 & 7, no yawning until bedtime.  That was such a blessing to me.  I felt more focused at work and everything.

Last little thoughts:
  • Although the thought came into my head a million times last night to just break the detox, I stayed strong.  Even if no one else knew, I would know and be disappointed in me.
  • Because of that, and having the strength to stick with it, I praised God on my knees this morning for helping me this week and being my strength.
  • I've been reminded how much I love pulling out the cookbooks and the spices and preparing delicious, fresh meals. 
  • I learned my cat likes avocado. 
  • I learned my cat isn't into any other vegetable.
  • I lost a couple of pounds.
So that's about it.  Not much more to say so this is the end of my Detox Diary.  I hope you learned some things about eating healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment